I have a list of six tasks or reminders I reaffirm and level up on before I set out to achieve any new goal or right after any big life challenge occurs. I call life my a surrender experiment. If you want to achieve anything big or even just prosper through everyday life, you are going to have to do and experience some things that are uncomfortable. When you take big scary steps your brain has a built in protection mechanism that will try to get you to stop taking action. This list helps me to let those self defeating thoughts pass. It is important to note that you don’t push down negative thoughts, you just acknowledge them and let them pass.
These tasks / reminders help me to set a baseline for positive change and I am sharing them with the hope they help you as well.
- Learn to enjoy life in the moment and decide I am going to be happy no matter what happens.
- I notice my brain serving negative thoughts, and just choose to relax, and accept the feeling, and move forward anyway.
- This is a lifetime practice, but it gets easier.
- Learn to live squarely in the moment.
- Sometimes we waste a lot of time reliving past failures, or worrying about what will happen in the future. I simply realize that there is only one time I can do anything and that is right now. I obviously have to plan for meetings and tasks, but I don’t worry about what they may bring.
- Do what is in front of me, without worrying or thinking about doing something else.
- This is just simply getting deeply involved in whatever I am doing so my mind doesn’t distract me by moving on to something I am not doing.
- Learn to love myself so that I am not affected by what others think of me.
- The first and most important and foundational relationship you need to build is with yourself. Work on improving your relationship with yourself. You wouldn’t cruelly criticize or beat up on others, so don’t do that to yourself. Treat yourself like you are someone else you want to help.
- Only compare your performance with past performance, not with others. You are no one else, but you.
- Build the realization of truth required to take big steps.
- The truth is that if we attempt something and fail, the stakes are rarely life or death. Consequences are rarely the worst case, and almost never bad as we think they will be.
- Most often the outcome is better than the start.
- Take big steps, and remain focused in the moment.
- Take the big step, and focus completely on it. Don’t distract yourself with other unnecessary distractions.