Month: August 2022
This Too Shall Pass
I thought this would be a good opportunity to share this blog post. Have you ever had one of those days where you were just discouraged and feeling really insecure? As I sit and start to write this blog post, I am there. I went to the gym this morning, and then came home and tried to get some things done, and had a very frustrating day. I just didn’t do well at what I was working on and ended up wasting a lot of time. The negative thoughts really started to dig in without my immediate awareness. You know that voice that quietly asks you questions like, who are you to think you can do this right?
I learned something a few years ago. “This too shall pass.” Your body is complicated. The events of the day, and your brain and its biology can coalesce into a recipe for a bad day. The difference is what you decide to do with it. Those who won’t admit to having days like this will lie about other things too. There is a process that you can use to get out from under down days.
- Acknowledge to yourself that you are struggling and that it’s OK. Treat yourself like someone else you are responsible for encouraging in this way.
- Get curious about the negative feelings. Don’t think about them, just notice how it feels in your body and your psyche.
- Review what happened at a high level. Maybe make a list of the events that happened. Don’t get too deep, and don’t start judging yourself. This often uncovers the otherwise obvious.
- At this point, get up and do something even if you don’t want to.
- Just keep going until it passes.
The most important thing to remember when you are having one of these days, is that “this too shall pass.” One thing older entrepreneurs and investors know very well is that business and markets go up and down. So will our lives. Some periods of time are good and others aren’t. We all go through seasons. Things happen outside of our control. It is OK to have a down day, or periods of time surrounding a bad event. What matters is what you do with it.